So far the bouncy bus rides and new job for my student are going well. I haven't any negative reports and generally no news is good news! I believe that one of the hardest challenges my students face at school and in their jobs is communication.
Communication is key to independence whether is be oral communication, sign language, PECS, or some other communication system. Students on the spectrum need to have an established means of expressing their needs and feelings with others and to understand the social skills to express these thoughts at the appropriate times.
Much of our classroom time is focused on communication. I have students on all levels. Currently, I am working with a new non-verbal student who uses a mixture of PECS and sign. It can be frustrating at first to determine and develop a system that works for the students and to familiarize staff with the system. This is where patience prevails. It takes weeks, even months for students to catch onto and fully utilize a communication system. It helps at the high school level if some system has been used at home or in the lower grades, then we can continue that system with modifications.
I know that the next few weeks with the new student will be challenging, but seeing the progress she has already made is amazing. With structure, a routine, and communication she will be ready for her own bouncy bus rides in a few years.
For more information:
PECS: http://www.pecs.com/
TEACCH methods (structure and routines): http://teacch.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment