A good sense of humor is a must have as an Autism teacher. It helps me get through the day and to enjoy my students.
It also is important to be able to understand jokes and humor in our society. I have realized that this is especially the case for teenage boys, as this is a major part of their interactions with each other.
This school year I have overheard MANY "that's what she said jokes" gone wrong as I listen the my boys trying to make friends at lunch and interacting with their classmates. Each time I giggle in my head, but I am also thrilled that they are trying to socialize.
Today I heard one of these jokes used in the correct context. It was executed perfectly and was hilarious. Of course I wanted to laugh as loudly as everyone else and was overwhelmed with joy that this kid has a chance of fitting in at lunch with the neurotypicals. However, after trying to keep a straight face I had to do my teacher part and explain that this was a funny joke and that I was so happy that he was making friends, but he could not tell these jokes in front of teachers and probably shouldn't tell them in front of girls either. There are so many unwritten rules in our society that we must teach ASD students. If he told these jokes in front of a girl in a few years when he is 18, he could end up in lots of trouble or fired from a job, yet he needs to know these jokes to make friends. This must be so confusing. I am sure that this student will go on to make many friends and be successful in the future, and I am glad that he will be able to make people laugh and make friends in the process.
No comments:
Post a Comment