Tomorrow is field trip day. We will be going to a local museum and having lunch at a pizza buffet. I will have approximately 20 students on the spectrum with me plus about 30 others students with an array of disabilities from Down's Syndrome to Cerebral Palsy. This could get interesting.
From past field trip experiences with my kiddos I have learned a few things. 1) For the most part, they act better in public than they do in my classroom. 2) They will get bored with my exciting trip and revert to Yu Gi Oh, Pokemon, and Beyblade discussion. 3) They need food to be happy. 4) Be ready for anything- like moments of panic when you think you have lost a kid and realize he is in the bathroom.
I have never taken a group this large to a museum. I am hoping everything breakable is super glued down to concrete. Today we discussed what not to do at the museum. 1) Do not touch anything. I don't care who dares you or how shiny and sparkly it is. Don't touch it. 2) Stay where the adults are. If you aren't with an adult you are in the wrong place. Stay where I can see you. Don't wonder off. I restated this in 100 different ways. They will all wander off. 3) Don't touch anything and don't wander off.
I then asked if anyone had questions. The questions were: 1) Can I bring my Yu Gi Oh cards? 2) Does the restaurant have an arcade? 3) Why did I have to get a flu shot? Followed by the statement,"I thought about flowers in the field while I got my flu shot." Well there you have it. My kids are definitely prepared for the field trip.
This conversation took place during my evaluation by one or our assistant principals. I am sure she was entertained.
No comments:
Post a Comment